Skip to main content

Your browser is out of date, and unable to use many of the features of this website

Please upgrade your browser.


This website requires cookies. Your browser currently has cookies disabled.

Pay an automatic enrolment penalty notice

If you have received a penalty notice, you can pay your penalty using our secure online payment service, providing your debt has not been subject to court action. You will need your penalty notice reference for this (shown on the front of your notice).

You must pay by the date shown on the front of your penalty notice.

Penalty notice payment options

Pay your penalty notice

If you don’t pay the penalty we will recover any unpaid fines through legal proceedings, this may include action such as obtaining a county court judgement and instructing bailiffs.

If your notice reference begins with AE, you should follow the payment instructions on the notice as you won’t be able to pay it online.

Should you wish to pay your penalty notice by bacs transfer this can be done by sending the payment to:

  • Sort Code: 40-14-03
  • Account Number: 72526026

Please quote your Penalty Notice number as the reference number for your payment.

Not including the Penalty Notice number may result in us not being able to allocate your payment or returning the payment as unrecognised.

If you don’t pay the penalty we will recover any unpaid fines through legal proceedings. This may include obtaining a county court judgement.

I am struggling to pay my penalty, what can I do?

Whether you're struggling financially or are suffering with ill health, it may be possible for us to discuss and agree a payment plan for you to clear down your penalty.  Please contact us at or call us on 0800 169 0325 to discuss options with our Debt Recovery Team.

Please note that we use high court enforcement officers in England and Wales to collect unpaid debt. We don't use county court bailiffs.

If you're unsure about any contact you've received claiming to be acting on behalf of The Pensions Regulator, please contact us on 0800 169 0325 and we'll be able to confirm.

If you're struggling with debt, please contact one of the free advice services offered across the UK.