Skip to main content

Your browser is out of date, and unable to use many of the features of this website

Please upgrade your browser.


This website requires cookies. Your browser currently has cookies disabled.

Victims of crime

If you are a potential victim in a criminal case that The Pensions Regulator is investigating or prosecuting, this sets out what you can expect from us. You are a victim of crime if you have suffered harm or economic loss which was directly caused by a criminal offence that we formally investigated.

We carry out criminal investigations and prosecutions to protect pension savers and to deter future wrongdoing. We are committed to treating victims of crime fairly, with dignity and respect. We uphold the standards in the Code of Practice for Victims of Crime (Victims’ Code).

If we ask you to act as a witness for a potential criminal trial, we will explain:

  • the investigation and prosecution process
  • how it may affect you
  • what you can expect from us as a witness in our investigation

Reporting a criminal offence

We only investigate specific crimes. If you feel that you have suffered a loss because of a crime related to your pension, you can contact us.

Following the information you provide we may investigate further but we do not intervene in all situations. We will contact you should we require further information.

Please note that we are unable to give feedback on the outcome of any assessment or investigation (if one is conducted) due to legal reasons. The information we hold is deemed as 'restricted information'. Disclosure of information, including whether or not an investigation is taking place, could jeopardise its progression.

We will advise you if it would be more appropriate to refer the matter to the police or another agency.

If we become aware of an alleged criminal offence we may contact you as a victim to find out if you can give us more information.

If we contact you as a victim, we will ask you for some personal details, including contact details, so that we can update you during the investigation. We will hold these details securely and in line with the Data Protection Act.

Contact with us

If you have contacted us because you believe you have suffered a loss related to your pension arising from a potential crime, we will speak to you as soon as possible. It is likely that we will contact you by telephone or secure email.

If we think that you have relevant information, we may speak with you again at our offices or at your home.

Giving a witness statement

We may ask you to make a witness statement. This will be taken by one of our investigators who will ask you about your experience and your circumstances as a victim of a potential crime. We will help you to put what you have said into a formal statement, using your own words.

We will:

  • explain the purpose of the witness statement
  • explain the process of taking a witness statement
  • ensure that you read and understand your draft statement thoroughly so that it accurately reflects what you have said before you sign it
  • explain the implications of signing the witness statement

If you are happy with the statement we will ask you to sign it with your name. This says that you agree with the statement and that it is a true account of what you have said to the investigator.

The statement cannot be changed once it has been signed but more statements can be taken if new information comes to light.

If you need language assistance to interpret or translate any documents during the interview, or while we take a witness statement, you should tell the investigator. We will be able to arrange assistance for you.

Giving evidence in court

If the case is brought to court, you may need to give evidence during a trial. If this happens we will give you as much notice as is reasonably possible so that you can be prepared and can inform us of any significant commitments and dates you need to avoid. The sooner we are aware of these, the easier it will be to manage.

If the date when you are due to give evidence changes we will let you know as soon as possible.

During the court case we will keep you informed about the progress of the case.

To help you prepare to give evidence in a trial we will explain the process of giving evidence, the layout of the courtroom and the procedures involved. We will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.

We understand that giving evidence at court can be a stressful experience. If you are a young or vulnerable witness, we can take measures to help ensure that you give your best evidence.

This may involve us applying to the court for ‘special measures’. This can be offered to those that are particularly vulnerable or intimidated. Examples of this include giving your evidence from outside the courtroom via live video link so that you do not need to see, or be seen, by the defendant. Or you may be provided with screens around the witness box so that you are unable to see the defendant while you give evidence.

You can ask for special measures if you think it would help you to give your evidence. Ultimately the court decides whether these measures can be put in place.


If you have a disability that may affect how we provide you with information, how you communicate with us or any requirements that may affect your ability to give evidence at court, please let us know. We can make reasonable adjustments when providing you with information or arranging access to our premises or the court.

You can find court facilities and contact details on GOV.UK.


If you need to attend court to give evidence, we will send you a witness expenses form setting out the rates for claiming expenses and the application form with detailed rules about claiming expenses.

You can claim limited expenses for:

  • travel to and from court
  • accommodation (with our prior agreement)
  • food and non-alcoholic drinks (unless the Witness Service or the court provides free refreshments)

You may also be able to claim limited expenses for:

  • compensation for loss of earnings from attending court
  • related costs such as childcare

We will explain the procedure and can help you fill out the form.

Applying for compensation

There may be compensation available if you have suffered loss as a result of a crime in which a defendant has been convicted. If this is the case we will apply to the court on your behalf. This application takes place at the end of the trial and once a full financial investigation has taken place. This may take some time to complete.

An application may be made for some, or all, of the loss resulting from the offences of which the defendant is convicted, considering the specific facts of the case and all the circumstances. The final decision on whether to grant compensation lies with the court.

The court also decides on the amount of any compensation. Anything you may receive in compensation depends on a number of factors. This includes the defendant satisfying the compensation order and whether you have received compensation already.

Victims’ right to request a review

Where we have taken on a criminal investigation, victims can seek a review of when we decide not to bring charges or to end all proceedings.

For more details, see right to review under the Victims’ Code.

Complaints procedure

Under the Victims' Code, victims can complain if they believe their rights have not been met.

You can give feedback to us or make a complaint. This does not cover the decisions or verdicts made by the court.

For more details on making a complaint, see information for victims of crime.

If you are not satisfied with our response, you can complain to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Help and advice